In the beginning was the idea to provide Library Data to Traveller players.
There should not only be background material, but also demographic data and
planetary maps, indices and information. The existing possibilities such as
paper-bound Library Data, or computer programs as SSV/XSSV were not
satisfactory, because they lacked one or another quality needed. Paper,
for instance is a hell to search through. On the other hand, the existing
computer programs hadn't enough information available, such as
planetary maps, extended world information and informational text.
So I decided to use a Hypermedia, and since I use HTML for a lot of
things, I did it like this. The benefits are clear:
- Easily browse- and searchable
- Easy to update
- Integration of text and pictures
The Thingie is planned as an online reference for Traveller-characters.
Yes. No Referee data. Just that, what characters could get when they use
some Library Data system or some navigational program.
The Data present is from Traveller, the Original one. We're currently
playin' in 1121 (the campaign began 1107).
This is the main problem of the whole story... Developing a project such
as this is very time-consuming. I had, for instance, to capture the
subsector-maps from SSV, to convert them into PNG and to adjust their
colors with XV. Why can't XSSV save these things?
So what has been done?
- Overall indices of the known space and the imperial space
- An incomplete index of all sectors with their names
- Complete Subsector indices (including subsector maps) of:
- Spinward Marches
- Trojan Reach
- Reft Sector
- Riftspan Reaches
- Incomplete solar system indices for the Spinward Marches.
- A nearly complete solar system index for Regina/Spinward Marches
including a short description of every system/planet.
What's up for the future?
- Complete solar system indices for each of the five above mentionned
sectors with a short description (I do part of that with a program)
- As much data for every solar system I can get. Particulary, I'd like
To have data on the systems, not only on single planets.
Planetary maps are also nice.
You'd like to help me?
- Mail me data. Lots of data. The URL
of your webpage.
- I don't need any adventures, vignettes, whatever. Only
data which can be given to players/characters without problems.
- Formatted like my own pages would be nice :)
Thanks go to lotsa people who wrote Traveller itself and who wrote
further material. Thank goes also to people who put material onto the
web, and to others who did the data-warehousing. Thanks go also to my
own bunch of players, without them, I would have done nothing relating
Traveller. So here goes the list:
- Game Designs Workshop (The people who really DID it)
- Imperium Games
- Far Future Enterprises
- Fantasy Productions (The nice german release)
Data Warehousers & contributors
- Göran Damberg (Most beautiful Traveller-site)
- Michael Pfleghart (Captain and roomcleaner)
- Martin (Weapons officer and thief)
- Daniel Werner (He's an ingenieur not a captain)
- Andreas Amrein (Driving? he can do that.. Aaargh)
- Tobias Schwörer (The living target)
- Kirth Gersen (He won't say it, but you'll believe it anyway)